Pages

Friday 25 March 2011

Roses and Bows Tutorial using Essie French Affair Cube

I thought the colours in the Essie French Affair Cube were perfect for a little bit of vintage roses and bows. I also had a twitter request from @JPC_ for a tutorial so I decided to start with this one. 

 So on to the tutorial.
A few things to bear in mind. You need some fine brushes. If you haven't got any then you can cut down a normal one as shown here (This woman has mad skillz I want to be like her when I grow up XD)

You can use Gouache or Acrylic paint for the details if you prefer. I prefer to use polish but lots of people use paint because you can make it more fluid and easier to move around.
Think about the object your trying to make as shapes and then high and low lights. For example the rose is basically a circle with dark and light areas to give the impression of petals. 
Polishes used: Essie french affair, coat azure, topless & barefoot and Nice is nice. See this post for more details. I also used Models Own in True Blue and Blooboo for the high and low lights and New 17 Supreme Shine in Wave (will swatch soon but basically an aqua)
Ok first things first get your nails ready for business and apply the main colours. I used Nice is Nice on the index and ring finger, and Topless and Barefoot on the others. 
As you can see I have smudged it on the ring finger but before I added the blue for the rose base I smoothed it out with a little acetone on a normal size brush. Worked well I didn't need to redo the finger.
Next you need to apply 'blobs' of blue which are the base shape for the roses on the beige fingers and then use the fine brush and darker polish to paint lines to show the petals. These shapes can be vague.
Then add the highlights.
You then add little triangle shapes for the leaves
Now the true magic happens when you add the topcoat! A good coating of Seche Vite. 
It blends the polishes for you gives you the full rose effect. 
I didn't take pictures of the bow as it's past midnight and I have to be up very early tomorrow. Basically same principle bow shape in main colour add some low lights in your dark colour and high lights in light. Top coat and off you go! 

Ta da!

I hope you enjoyed that! I saw the original rose design in a Nail Up or Nail Venus magazine from Japan. I don't know who actually did the design there are a few versions.
Thanks for reading
Stacie xoxox 

13 comments:

  1. I absolutely love these! I've just started getting into doing my own nails and I want to try this next!

    Thanks

    Lorren xxx

    http://pixieinmywardrobe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look really good! I'm loving them Essie colours! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh so pretty! I have these Essie spring polishes, will have to give this a go. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh these are sooo cute!! Your roses are amazing! I need these Essie colors as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for doing this! I need to try it out next.First stop, the craft store for some brushes to cut up! You're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the great comments XD I'm glad you like them. I split the darker blue polish all over my cream carpet when I was doing them. So now I have to go rug shopping today XD
    Stacie xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow these are amazing, I am speechless! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow they look amazing!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous! Thank you so much for the tutorial, it is very easy to follow :D. I've seen quite a few tutorials both in Japanese nail mags and online but I haven't tried it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the floral pattern! I wish I could do the same but I'm way too clumsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty and feminine! Thanks for the tutorial. You make it sound easy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow who knew making roses was that easy?! Although I think you make it look easier than it would be for me. Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete